Updated statement regarding COVID-19 and recommendations to states and clubs.
The BMXA Board and Senior Management have been monitoring advice from various Government departments in relation to COVID-19 and considering the impact on the BMX community and activities.
Initial advice from the Federal Government recommending cancellation or postponement of non-essential public gatherings of more than 500 people came into effect on Monday 16th March and led to the postponement of our National Championships. It is important to note that this advice, including the number of people could change at any time and may be either a State or Federal Government decision.
Latest information issued indicates that outdoor events spread over a large area are not considered as high a risk as those where people are confined to a specific area or in close proximity to one another, such as indoors or seated in a stadium.
In response to this latest information, BMXA advises States and Clubs to follow the recommendations listed below:
1. Adhere to the advice around mass gatherings and consider all Government direction issued in their state/territory.
2. Be aware of updates and changes issued by the authorities and to comply with this advice.
3. BMXA strongly recommends all States and Clubs events that are not impacted by government restrictions to reconsider if any upcoming events up to 31 May 2020 can be postponed and rescheduled to minimise exposure and pressure on the health system and volunteers.
4. Consider the number of attendees (participants, spectators, officials and volunteers) at events and activities and the anticipated proximity of these attendees.
5. Adhere to the recommended social distancing guidelines maintaining a safe distance (1.5m suggested) to minimise transmission and provide reassurance to others by respecting space.
6. Display posters/ flyers reminding attendees to practice good hygiene issued by the relevant state/territory authority at any event/activity.
7. Provide hand sanitising provisions including soap and water and hand sanitiser for participants, spectators and volunteers.
8. If individuals wish to refrain from participating at State and Club activities during this time, please respect that decision.
9. Affiliates are reminded that the BMXA insurance policies do not extend to event cancellation.
BMXA has made the decision to:
1. Postpone all BMXA coaching and skill instruction courses until further notice. Registered participants can seek a refund or credit towards the rescheduled activity.
2. Postpone round 3 of the BMXA National Series scheduled for April 25. Rescheduled dates to be advised as soon as available.
3. Restrict all international travel and are limiting domestic travel to essential only. This may impact BMXA’s ability to provide BMXA appointed commissaires and/or support staff.
4. Have BMXA staff to work remotely until 5 April when the situation will be reevaluated. Some delays may be experienced in responding to emails and phone calls.
BMXA are taking this approach, which includes restricting opportunities for mass gatherings, to help reduce the transmission of COVID-19 and do our part to “flatten the curve”.
As can be appreciated, the situation surrounding COVID-19 is changing rapidly and on a daily basis. BMXA will continue to update members and affiliates as required. BMXA will continue to monitor the develops and government recommendations surrounding COVID19 and advise as updates become available.
Further information around the recently postponed BMXA National Championships will be passed on as soon as available, including a Frequently Asked Questions document.
BMXA is also watching developments relating to the 2020 UCI BMX World Championships in Houston and will provide further information on that event as it comes to hand.
For all enquiries, please email email@example.com